Sunday, November 30, 2008

i'm still behind you



John W. Gardner wrote: Self-pity is easily the most destructive of the nonpharmaceutical narcotics; it is addictive, gives momentary pleasure and separates the victim from reality.

i never intended this blog to be collection of novelty license plate pictures with commentary, but i saw this the other day and it just made me really sad.
i don't have any other information about this person apart from this picture that i took (well, and that they shop at Bashas grocery store in Chandler) but the question it brought up in my mind was this: what kind of life are you living if you walk around with this title attached to you? i suppose we all do it in some ways. maybe we do it to shift blame, to avoid consequences, to title our scapegoat, or for justification. but in the end we could ALL label ourselves victims.

but we could also choose to label ourselves conquerors...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Continuing the strange personalized plate thread, I saw two the other day that have to be mentioned.
1. On the I-10 I was passed by a new Jaguar convertible with the plate: AQUITED - I don't know the real story there, but the one I came up with wasn't good for the driver.

2. On the same day, not even 20 minutes later I came across a large SUV with the plate of SLUMLRD. Again, I don't know the story, but is that a name you'd want to go by?